Thursday, January 7, 2010

God's Good Creation

PROPS:
2 12x18” SIGNS – ONE with word “CREATOR” written on it, the other with “CUSTOMER” written on it
Class bell or some kind of bell

Talk:

Narrator: This evening we’re going to have a special game show called “Who do you believe?” And you will help us decide – which person do you believe. The first person will be someone who is the “Creator” – and I’m going to ask xx to come up and be our Creator.

The second person will be the “customer” and I’m going to ask xx to be our customer.
You must help us by holding these wonderful signs.

Now our Creator and our customer will act out 2 scenes. After watching the scene, we will vote on Who do you Believe?

For our first scene, imagine that we are going way back into time and we are going to listen to our creator and our customer discuss a wonderful new invention from prehistoric times:

Creator – Hello, customer. I want you to look at this wonderfully made invention I have just perfected. I call it the wheel!

Customer – I have never seen anything like this before. What does it do?
Creator – Oh, it can do amazing things. First, it can roll. Second, you can move things with it. For example, if you added 2 of these wheels and a strong log in between, you could put heavy things on that log and move things that would take many strong people to move. It is WONDERFULLY made!
Customer – I see. But you know, it looks heavy to me. And I don’t know where I would put it. I’ve never seen any thing like this before, and I’m not sure I like it. In fact, you may think it’s a wonderful invention, but honestly, it looks like a rock with a hole in it to me. I think it’s just plain junk.

Narrator - LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, now is your chance to vote – who do you believe about this thing called a wheel? Now I expect you to vote smart! Do you believe the one who made it, the creator? If so, please clap.
Okay, how many of you believe the customer?

Sorry, customer. In this case, the creator knew best.

Okay, let’s do scene 2. We are now almost in the present time, and our 2 people are different. Our “Creator” is a person called Bill Gates, who you may or may not know is extremely important in creating computers. And so he is our Creator, and then we have our customer. Let’s listen in:

Customer: Mr. Gates, I am looking at this black thing you call a laptop, and honestly, I can’t think of any reason I’d want one. Just look at it. How can anything so small do very much? And when I turn it on, I think I have to wait at least 20 seconds before anything happens. It’s slow and I just think it’s junk. No one will buy any of these.

Creator: Oh, you don’t understand. This laptop will change the world! It can do things faster than a human brain. It can give you information that would take years to find out any other way. And as to it being slow to start up, if you only knew how many checks this computer was doing to keep it running at its best, you’d understand that 20 seconds is very, very quick. It is WONDERFULLY made!

Narrator:
Okay, audience. WHO DO YOU BELIEVE? Will you believe the customer who believes no one would want to have a laptop, that it is slow and really junk? (ask for response)
Or will you believe its creator, Bill Gates?

Thank you Creator and customer!

Each time, you chose the Creator to believe. Can some of you tell me why you believed him?
Right, the person who creates something knows it inside and out. He knows what it does well, why it was built, and he can fix it if it breaks.

God is our Creator. He is the one who made human beings. He knows us inside and out. He knows what humans were made to do, and he can fix human beings too. God tells us in the Bible that human beings are wonderfully made. Actually, it says we are “fearfully” and wonderfully made. The fearfully is like our word “awesome”. Humans are awesome and wonderfully made.

But sometimes people feel like they are just junk. Can you think of reasons why people would feel like they are worthless? (wait for kids to answer - below are some suggestions)

• Not loved by parents
• Words people say (think of some hurtful words people say to others, write them on a Post-it note and put it on yourself - words like "loser", "jerk", "retard", etc.)
• That they are just smart bipeds who just evolved from monkeys

And people can believe that they really are worthless – they believe that is the truth!

Get out your Bibles and turn to the very beginning to Genesis 1:26-31.
When God made the world, the last thing he made were humans – male and female. Could someone read Genesis 1:27? Maybe you look a bit like your mom or your dad. God says when he looks at people, he sees a bit of himself in each one. So the first big idea is that every human being is in God’s image.
Here’s the second big idea – can someone read 1:31? God looked at the human beings he created, and he didn’t say – oh, they are okay, or they are losers. He said It is VERY good.

So, tonight I want to ask you - who do I believe? Do I believe what people tell me – that I’m a loser? Or do I believe the Creator, the one who made me, who knows me, who says –

I don’t make losers. What I make is very, very good?
Who do you believe?

Psalm 139:4 says – I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

So turn to your neighbor and say – You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Now look at me, and tell me – I am fearfully and wonderfully made!

Boys and girls – this is the truth. I hope you always believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment