Saturday, October 13, 2012

GOD'S WORD IS TRUE

Crystal ball, turban, table, cloth over goldfish bowl, helium-filled balloons (3) on string. Before blowing up, put small pieces of paper inside, with messages below. Candy bar hidden and taped to bottom of table. White board? Today I’m going to do something that will astound you. I have learned when I put on this turban and look into this crystal ball, well, crystal goldfish bowl, I will become all knowing! I can tell you things that will astonish you. I have already sensed many things, and have put them into these balloons. So I need a volunteer to come and pop one of the balloons and read what is inside. #1 - The person breaking this balloon is 35 years old and a computer programmer. (Oh dear, I’m not sure I got that one right. Are you 35 years old and a computer programmer? Okay, thanks. Please sit down. Can I have another volunteer?) #2 - You have 3 children, ages 5, 7 and 10 named Brunhilda, Sasquatch and Bunny. (Ah, did I get this one right? Thanks, please sit down. Is one more person willing to be a volunteer?) #3 - Look under the table... Thanks - you may take your treat! Boys and girls, why do you think I was wrong 2 times and right the third? (Because you put the candy there!) For the first 2, I was just guessing. I’m no prophet. But the last time, why was I right? (I put it there!) How many of you know what a prediction is? It’s something you suggest or forecast or guess will happen in the future. For instance, when you listen to the weather on TV, they are using meteorological equipment to help predict what the weather will be like for the week. But predictions are risky. We can be wrong. That’s because weathermen just tell you about the weather - they can’t control it. Another word for prediction is prophecy. But there’s an important difference. Predictions are a good guess based on the facts. A prophecy - if it’s a real one - will prove true. The Bible is full of prophecies. In the OT alone, there are over 300 prophecies about Jesus. And they all came true. None of them was wrong. Let’s look at some of them together - pairs: When we read the prophecy, just pause a minute, because I want us to know about what year this prophecy was given. I think it will help us see why these prophecies are so amazing. Zech. 9:9 - Mt. 21:4-7 (hold up 520BC) Micah 5:2 - Mt. 2:1 (730BC) Malachi 3:1 - Mt. 3:1-2 (450BC) Psalm 22:18 - Jn. 19:24 (1000 BC) Some of these words were written almost 1000 years before Jesus was born. How is this possible? And the reason they came true is very simple. Remember back to the third balloon? When x read the paper, she/he didn’t know that I had written the note, put it in the balloon, and had hid the candy. For me, it was all very clear that she/he would find the candy because I set it up. When God inspired Zechariah and Micah and Malachi and David to write these words, God knew what He was going to do. And when the time was right, God send His Son into this world, and all the things written in the OT about Jesus came true in Jesus’ life. And because God cannot lie, then God’s Word is always true, and you can trust it. Let’s read one more verse: Psalm 119:160 When this Psalm was written about 3,000 years ago, it was true. It was true when Jesus lived. It’s true when we live today because God’s word is always true. Those of you beginning Adventure 1 are learning answers to the question: What is the Bible? Last week I brought in a great big sword. Do any of you remember why? (God’s Word is powerful) (sword picture?) Today we’re learning that God’s Word is true. Maybe you realize that very little in life is always, always a sure thing. I can’t tell the future, and probably none of us tells the truth 100% of the time. But God wants you to know that here is one thing that is always, always true (hold up your Bible). You can bet your life on it. The person who broke this balloon is 35 years old, good looking and a computer programmer. The person who broke this balloon has 3 children, ages 5, 7 and 10 named Brunhilda, Sasquatch and Bunny. The person who broke this balloon ate spinach & liver for breakfast today. You will find a yummy treat for you under this table. Zechariah 9:9 and Matthew 21:4-7 Micah 5:2 and Matthew 2:1 Malachi 3:1 and Matthew 3:1-2 Psalm 22:18 and John 19:24

No comments:

Post a Comment