Sunday, October 21, 2012

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME



Beginning tonight, we’re starting a 10-week series:
It matters how I live

Tonight we want to begin by thinking about who has the authority to tell us what to do.  You and I have many people in our lives who have authority over us.  Can you think of some:

·                                             parents
·                                             police/judges
·                                             teachers
·                                             many adults
·                                             soldiers

What makes it easy to obey someone in authority?
What makes it hard?

Why?

·                                             I believe they care about me
·                                             I think they are asking me to do something good for me
·                                             I trust them
·                                             they have thought it through before asking me

Why not?
·                                             They don’t care about me
·                                             They have dumb rules
·                                             I don’t trust them
·                                             they are asking me to do something that is bad for me



It isn’t always easy to obey people in authority, is it?  Sometimes we want to do what WE WANT to do! 


I want you to get out your Bibles and look at the very last book of the Bible - Revelation.  This book is about the end of time - how God will finally destroy all things that are evil and God will reign as King without any enemies.

Turn to chapter 19:11-16
Now this is a powerful word picture, isn’t it?  What things did you notice about the person on the horse?

·                                             faithful
·                                             true
·                                             righteous judge
·                                             makes war
·                                             eyes on fire
·                                             crowned
·                                             word of God
·                                             armies following him
·                                             king of king
·                                             lord of lords

Now what does it mean, king of kings, lord of Lords?

What kind of a Lord is Jesus?
Faithful - he never betrays or tricks you
He is true - he never lies to you
he cares about true and hates evil
he is powerful

What would it mean to have Jesus be Lord of your life?
What would Jesus ask you to do?

Sometimes we’re afraid that Jesus will ask us to do impossible things or that he will ask us to do the very hardest thing we could imagine.  Or that he will hurt us somehow.  Let’s see what the Bible says about the plans God has for you and me

Jeremiah 29:11

What kinds of plans does God have?
For wholeness and not for evil
to give you future and a hope

Now let’s imagine this circle is you.  Let’s write inside all the things that make you up:

sports/food/friends/etc.

Inside let’s put a chair.  Whoever sits in that chair decides what to do with all the parts of your life.  Let’s pretend this is me.  And so I’ll write my name -  “Mary” on the chair.  Everybody who has ever been born sits in this center place in their lives.

Now let’s imagine that something new has happened to me.  I have understood that I have sinned against God and deserve His punishment.  I am sorry for all the wrong things I have done.  And I have asked God to forgive me.  I understand that God sent Jesus into the world to take my punishment and give me His goodness.  This is great news.  And God will forgive me the next time I sin and ask Him to forgive me.

But God wants me to begin to change - and He wants to be Lord of me.  Can I trust him?  Will he want the best for me?  Are his laws good?  Yes.

(Erase Mary and put God)

I hope you understand that it is not easy to say “yes” to God in this way.  The will to run our own lives is very, very strong.  But when we are on the seat, our own plans are often not good at all for us.   It may be easy to say “yes” to God in one place, and harder in another.  You and I need to grow in our trust that having God in control is the very best thing for us.

Are you willing to do what Jesus wants?  Who is in control?  Are you in the control seat? 

Psalm 119:37
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment