Friday, October 19, 2012

MEETING ONE OF THE MAGI


MEETING ONE OF THE MAGI


It’s so dark out here in the desert.  Some nights, I can put my hand right up to my face and not see it.  Imagine that.  But after all this time, I’ve grown used to the sounds and noises of the desert at night.  When I put my head down to sleep, I just drop right off.

But now, I have guests!  It is wonderful to see all of you here.  You know, those of us who live in this area are famous for our hospitality.  So welcome!

One of the ways we welcome guests is to sit around and tell stories.  I have met the most interesting people this way, you know, and heard of many wonderful and strange things.  I’m sure if we had more time, I could get to know each of you, and learn something wonderful from you.

But tonight, I have a story to tell - a story that is full of wonder, full of danger, and may be the most important thing that has happened to me in my long life.

You may not be able to tell from my clothing, but I am a very educated man.  I am what is called a “maji”.  But perhaps that word is strange to you.  I am known as someone who studies many things - numbers and seasons and the stars.  I live far from here - a great distance, and perhaps some of you had to walk by the camels tied up over there to find me.

You know, camels aren’t known for being very nice animals.  Not only are they big, but they can really smell - phew!  They bite too.  Did any of you get nipped as you came over.  Oh, you, yes, the one who used to have 10 fingers.  Sorry about that! 

But did you know camels spit?  Oh yes, in fact, I carry a handkerchief all the time when I’m around my camel, Spot.  And lots of baby wipes.  Even when you wipe it off, it leaves a smell.  And a man of my importance, well, he doesn’t want to offend.


But I stray from my story!  Yes, I live far from here.  This land of Israel, well, it’s a long way from my home.  I wasn’t intending on coming here.  As I said, one of the things I study are the stars.  And in the desert, they are wonderful.  They light up the sky like jewels.

I study how they move, and I believe that the stars can tell us things.  A while back, I was gazing up at the heavens late one night.  And with me were several of my friends who also study the stars.  We were amazed as we watched something we had never seen before - a star brighter than we thought possible.  As we watched and whispered to one another, we all realized that this star must be announcing something important. 

Not every one of us could go, but a few of us ran down to our homes, and began to get ready to follow this star.  We knew that it was in the west - but how far?  Where would we go?

When we began to pack, we all agreed to take enough clothing for a long trip.  My wife insisted on giving me 10 pairs of socks!  She says I always loose them.  Yes, clothing, food, water.  My bags were almost full, but I had to save room for the most important things.

I knew that this star had an important purpose.  It was showing that something very special had happened.  Someone special had been born.  And I was not about to show up empty-handed.

Tucked among all my things, I packed a small package.  It is something that only a few people have owned.  Frankincense.  In my world, frankincense has only one purpose.  It is burned, and the smoke that rises has a very intense smell.  It is sweet, but also heavy.  And we burn it only to honor a king.  So why did I bring it with me?  Because I felt sure that this star was telling us that a great King had been born, and I wanted to be there to honor him.

Finally, I had my camel, Spot all packed, and my friends and I left our city just as the sun was coming up.


Of course, the star was impossible to see once daylight came, but we knew in the beginning to go east, and we traveled over the desert for many days.  As time wore on, we began traveling at night, so that the star could lead us the right way.  It was so beautiful, standing out crisply in the night sky.  Sometimes I would just marvel at its brilliance.  This must be a truly great man born!

As we traveled, we passed through many lands, and finally came to the land of Israel.  My friends and I talked - where should we go?  If a king was born, it must be in the great city of Jerusalem, and so that is where we went.

As we entered into the winding streets, we got many stares, I can assure you.  As we asked, we learned that there was a palace in Jerusalem, and the current king was named Herod.  I was not afraid of any king, remember I am very important in my own land.  And so we came before Herod, sitting on his throne.

As he listened to our story, he seemed surprised to hear of a king.  That surprised us too - for we surely thought that the king born must be his own son.  He called for his wise men and asked - where is the Christ to be born, and they all agreed - the town of Bethlehem. 

We thought - how could he not know of this great birth?  But after a minute, he told us to follow the star and come back to him and tell him where we found the baby - so he could worship him too.  The trip to Bethlehem was not far, and soon we were there.


But even in this village, you know there are lots of babies.  And there wasn’t any palace there.  How would we find this king?  But the star did not fail us.  It shone brightly over a small place, and as we ducked through the doorway to enter, we saw a baby and his mother.

At first, we were surprised to be the only ones there.  We expected servants and singers and great men crowding into the place.  How could such a great birth happen and no one knows?  That is certainly one of the great wonders of this child! 

When we had come in, we spoke to his mother, Mary.  Her face grew wide with wonder as she heard how we had come from so far away, led by a brilliant star, just to find this baby.

But when we brought out our gifts - frankincense, gold, and myrrh - and laid them at the baby’s feet and worshiped him, Mary was unable to speak.   Later, she told us many things about this baby, and our faces grew in wonder too.  As we left, we were certain that this was the great birth we had expected.

On our way back, another strange things happened.  We were sound asleep, and I had a dream - but it was the most real dream I’ve ever had.  A great heavenly being told me to stay away from King Herod and go home a different way.  And that is what we did.  It makes me think that this King Herod was not really planning on coming to worship this new king.  Perhaps he was planning something evil against the baby.


And now we are heading back home.  My bag is lighter, but my heart is full!  I have looked my whole life for meaning in the heavens, and now I have found it.  I do not know what this baby will become, but I know he will change the world.  He has already changed my world.

Now it’s getting late, and you should be moving on.  Perhaps you will want to travel to Bethlehem - it’s nor far from here - and see the baby for yourselves.  He is a king - and will be a man of great importance.  Perhaps you have something to bring him too?

As you go, remember!  Stay away from Spot.  Even if he doesn’t bite you or spit on you, the ground around him is...let’s just stay it’s pretty messy, and you wouldn’t want to walk around all day with THAT on your sandals!  Goodbye!                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment