Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Who Am I In Christ?

Who Am I In Christ? – Ephesians 1 – I am a child of God Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. And it’s a wonderful opportunity for people to tell someone they love them. Sometimes Valentines Day gets into gooey, lovey-dovey stuff, but it can also just be a way to tell someone they are very special to you. In the next 3 weeks, we are going to think more about a great I-love-you Valentine that God has sent the world. And to introduce it, I want to ask how many of you know the story of the Ugly Duckling? Who can tell me what the story is about? • Baby is in duck nest • Looks different • Is teased • Runs away • Sees swans – how beautiful! • Discovers he is not a duck, but a swan Everybody – kids too – wonders, just who am I? Here is a family tree my aunt made that includes photos of my family way way back. This family tree helps me know who I am – where my family came from, what they looked like. Sometimes what people say about us tells us who we are. Maybe your mom tells you that she thinks you’re special. Moms do that! And that is one way you know who you are. Sometimes the words other people use also tell us something – but not always true things. People hurt people with words. What are some words people use to hurt people? Use post-it notes and stick on me Do we use words to talk about who we really think we are. DO you ever call yourself names? Do you ever say – I’m dumb. I’m so stupid. I hate myself. Like the ugly duckling – we are asking – who are we? Clubbers, the valentine God gives the world is a huge, huge gift. It has lots of parts to it. One part is that God loves the world and sent his son to die on a cross so that you and I don’t have to pay for our own sins – so we can be forgiven. That is a HUGE piece. But God’s valentine doesn’t end there. God gives you a new identity. Will someone turn to John 1:12 And Someone else turn to Eph. 1:5 These verses tell us that if we trust in Christ – admit we are sinners, believe that He has died for our sins – we change. We become what… Children of God – or in Ephesians – adopted sons. We aren’t strangers any more to God, but we have become family. Now let’s imagine that you have never met me and one day I come and knock on your door. You come to the door and what would happen? You’d ask what I want Would you invite me in? Maybe Would you hug me? No But what if I am your absolute favorite aunt and it’s Christmas and I ring the doorbell? The door would swing wide open, I’d get hugs and kisses, and maybe you’d even say – why did you bother to ring the doorbell? You know you can always just walk right in? And there’s a place set at the table for me at dinner, and presents under the tree with my name on it. That’s what it means to be family. And boys and girls – that is a gift God gives any who believe in Jesus. Not only are you forgiven, but you are joyfully welcomed into God’s family. Known by name – Here is another wonderful part – you are just in a huge group of boys and girls and adults who belong to God. You aren’t lost in God’s big family. Someone look up John 8:2-3 – Jesus calls each one of us by name. He knows (name 3 kids). Abba One part of your new family is that God invites you to call HIM by a very special name – Look at Romans 8:15 Some fathers insist their children call them by a formal Father. But God invites us not to call him Father – formal and stiff – but Abba – Daddy. Another part of this gift - And God has given you brothers and sisters all over the world. God’s family is full of every kind of person – every nation, every group, every age. You can meet your family wherever you go in the world. Next week we’ll look at another part of God’s wonderful valentine to all who are His. Boys and girls, if you have not yet put your trust in Jesus, I urge you to. And if you have put your trust in Christ, I urge you to begin to learn that being God’s child is so much more than just going to heaven. It’s a gift with lots and lots of parts! Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment