Friday, October 19, 2012

HELPING KIDS UNDERSTAND WORSHIP


2 large posterboards folded in half like a big card or 2 whiteboards with a line across the center, big marker

Imagine it’s the Wednesday before Mother’s Day.  We’re going to imagine this poster board is a big Mother’s Day card, and we need to write things to Mom, things about her that are really great!  

So let’s think – (write on the poster board:  – Dear Mom, you are…
Okay, so help me - what can we say on our card?
(suggest they think of What she does
What she is)

Use the whiteboard or the posterboard, and encourage the kids to fill the whole thing with things about their moms.  This is GREAT!  Your moms sound awesome!

Now let’s think of what we’d write on the inside of our card…

Write and then Say:  Mom, because of all these things (read off several of the things on the white board), I…

Love you
Think You’re great
You’re the best mom in the world
Give you hugs and kisses
Am so glad you’re my mom


The same thing that makes it so easy for us to love our moms, thank our moms, and praise our mom is the same thing we can use to tell God we love him, thank Him for who he is and what he has done, who he is and how great He is

So on this second white board, we’re going to make a card for God.  

Dear God, you are…

If your kids don’t get too far, use the following verses –

Your word is truth – Psalm 119:160 - God, you never lie to me
Compassionate and gracious, abounding in love – Ex. 33
He is good – Psalm 145:9 - we never need to be afraid God will do anything for us or others that isn’t good
Wise –
Almighty – Jeremiah 32:18-19
Creator – Genesis 1:1
Eternal – Psalm 90:2
Incomprehensible – Romans 11:34
Faithful – Joshua 23:14
Unchanging – Malachi 3:6a
Never tiring – Isaiah 40:28b

Great!  God sounds amazing!  Now let’s think about what we’ll put on the inside…

(Write and then say - God,
because of these things (read some of the things the kids said about God), I’m

So glad you’re my God
Love you
Thank you every day
Think you’re great
Praise you
Worship you
Sing to you

Do you know what we just did with our God card?  We worshiped God!  We told him how amazing He is, and we told Him we love him.  

Now here’s the final thought.  Maybe your mom is like me.  When I get a card that is really personal, that my child has put a lot of time into and care, I am really touched by that card.  It is precious to me and many times I keep those cards.  In fact, I have a box of special things my children have made, and they make me so happy when I look through them.

Your praise to God and your thanks to God are also precious to him.   It makes him happy and he is delighted by words to Him that are really honest and true.

So I want to give you and me a chance to do just that for God.  We’ve thought about what makes God wonderful and special.  Now let’s tell God that, and we’re going to sing a song of praise that we know.

End with a VBS song or a song the kids know well that is a worship song.

No comments:

Post a Comment