Friday, October 19, 2012

OKAY, I'M SORRY!


AWANA – Year 1 – Repentance

We have talked in the first few weeks about sin, and the horrible things sin brings with it.  Three weeks ago we talked about God’s help when he sent Jesus as the sin crusher, and the death crusher.  This story is what we call the Gospel! 

In the next few weeks, we are going to learn about how sins are forgiven.  And today we’re going to learn about Repentance.

So, I want you all to be my helpers.  I need 2 volunteers to come forward and read what’s on the cards I have.  You out in the seats are going to help by acting at a Sorry Detector.  You need to listen to what each person says, and decide if the person is really sorry or not.  You will show you think someone is really sorry for what they did by giving the “Thumbs up” sign.  And if you think they are not being sorry, give the “Thumbs down” sign.  Okay?

Volunteer #1
Yesterday, I was watching television when my baby brother  came in the room.  I don’t know why.  He always annoys me.  Anyway, I had been playing with my Transformers and just for a second, had put them down on the floor.  My baby brother grabbed one.  He thought he could play with it.  Well, he can’t – they are mine.  I grabbed it out of his hand – okay, maybe a little too hard, and what do you know?  He falls down and starts to cry and says I pushed him!  Of course, Mom comes in and of course gets it all wrong.  She believes my little brother and not me!  And can you believe it, she makes me say “I’m sorry.”  So I did – (say I’m sorry in a whiney voice) – I’m sor-r-r-r-y, okay???  Gee.

Okay, audience.  What does your Sorry Detector say about his “I’m sorry”?  – thumbs up, or thumbs down?
Why don’t you believe him?  (get answers)

Volunteer #2
I really, really like Pokemon cards, and I heard that Barnes and Nobles was giving away free packs of Pokemon cards if it was your birthday.  On Saturday, Dad said let’s go to a movie together, and so we went to the theater in Market Fair.  In case you don’t know it, Barnes and Nobles is in the same shopping center.  Anyway, after the movie, Mom asked if we could go to Barnes and Nobles to look around, so we did.  When Mom and Dad were in the CD section, I went over to the desk.  It’s my birthday, I told them, and they gave me a free pack of cards.  Right then my sister came up behind me and said really loud -  Oh boy – you didn’t  tell them it was your birthday did you?  
Oh, I said, like you always tell the truth!  Anyway, you’re not the boss of me.  Leave me alone.  Then Dad and Mom came over – oh boy .  They asked how I got the Pokemon cards, and I said I found them lying on the floor and picked them up.  Dad didn’t believe me and took them from me and gave them to one of the people at the registers.  On the way home in the car, nobody talked.  Finally, I couldn’t stand it any more.  I’m sorry, okay?  I said.  Just leave me alone. 

Okay, audience.  What does the Sorry Detector say about what happened here?  Up for the truth, or down?
Why don’t you believe him?
Okay, volunteers, thank you. You may sit down (applause)


What happened to our two volunteers?  Why do you think they had trouble saying they were sorry? 

We hate feeling embarrassed or guilty or bad.
Sometimes we get angry at the people who tell us we’ve done something wrong
Or we make fun of them, like our second volunteer did to his sister
Can you think of a time when you were really sorry you had done something?  Was it hard to say you were sorry?

Open your Bibles to Psalm 51
This psalm was written by King David when he did a whopper of a sin.  God loved King David so much, and blessed him in so many ways.  But even with all these good blessings, David chose to sin.  This sin involved every horrible thing you can imagine – he tricked others into doing evil with him, he lied, he stole  someone else’s wife because he thought as king he should have her, and then he made sure the husband got killed so David could have this woman all for himself.  This is a horrible, horrible thing!
For a long time, David believed nobody knew or cared what he had done.  But finally God sent a prophet to David who let David know that God saw everything he had done and that God was very angry with him.  What could David possibly do?  He could say – I’m  sor-r-r-r-y, like volunteer #1, or he could say – oh, and you’re so good?  When did God make you the judge?  And maybe David did want to run away from God.

But that’s not what he did.  And in this Psalm, we’ll learn just what we need to learn of how to say we’re sorry to God – this is called repentance – in a way that really means it.  But that wasn’t how David was.  David had changed, and wanted to change even more.

4 Index cards?  Or handout with the 4 verses on them for each child:
PART ONE:

Read Psalm 51: 4 - What is David saying?  He's saying "God – you’re right."  How is David doing now on the Truth Detector?  (Thumbs up)
Do you think this was easy for David or hard for David?  Why?  ADMIT


PART TWO:
Read Psalm 51:3 – What is David saying here?  (Confess your sins) - Right, he's saying "Yes, I did it.  I know I did it, I admit it  And I’ll admit all of it"

PART 3:
Psalm 51:17 – Be sorry for your sins – David loved God so much that when he understood how evil he had been, his heart broke.  He said – "what have I done?  How could I do this evil?" 
If you were looking at David, do you think you could see that he was really sorry?  What might you see?

PART 4:
Psalm 51:10 - Finally, what is David saying now?  "God, change me so I don’t do this ever again."
What did David ask for so that he couldn’t sin like this again?
A clean heart – what does this mean?  What made his old heart dirty?

Boys and girls, don’t fool yourselves – sometimes we don’t want to repent.  We will blame someone else, we will make any excuse, because we don’t want to admit we are wrong.
Or we say we’re sorry, but we really mean, just get off my back.

But God knows what we have done and he tells us – it’s sin – you need to confess and repent.  Stop running away.  Admit, confess, be sorry, and repent – make up your mind you don’t want to do this any more!   And God will forgive you.  And he will always forgive because He is full of mercy.

Let’s look at one more story and get out your "Sorry Detectors".  Let's see how your  sorry detectors do this time:

Hannah loved the gold cross her mom sometimes wore.  One rainy afternoon, Hannah was looking around for something to do.  She went into her mom and dad’s bedroom and began to look at her mom’s jewelry.  She saw a ring that belonged to her grandma.  She saw some bright gold earrings.  And then she saw the cross.  She picked it up and looked at it closely.  Inside was a tiny diamond chip.  Hannah walked over to the mirror and held the necklace up to her neck.  She thought it looked really pretty.  Then Hannah put the cross in her pocket and walked out of her mom’s room.

The next Sunday, everyone was getting ready for church.  Hannah was getting dressed too and remembered the cross.  She thought – if I wear it, my friend Casey will love it, so Hannah got it out of her hiding place and put it on just before they went out the door.  After Sunday school, Hannah’s mom picked Hannah up in her classroom and suddenly she looked at Hannah funny.  Her smile disappeared and suddenly Hannah noticed her mom was looking very sad.

Hannah, her mom said,  what’s around your neck?  Is that MY cross?  Hannah reached for her neck and felt the cross.  Then she looked at her mom’s sad face.  Suddenly Hannah knew she had hurt her mom.  And she knew that wearing the cross to impress Casey was dumb.  Oh mom, I’m so sorry, Hannah said.  I never want to hurt you.  I’m sorry.  And she took off the cross and gave it to her mom.
(ask kids to rate Hannah's sorry) - Right!  Hannah really meant it, didn't she?

Maybe you have never asked God to forgive you for the sins you have done.  Don’t wait another day to tell God you’re sorry and to ask God to forgive you.  Clubbers, if you have already prayed for God to forgive you, keep your heart tender to God and be quick to tell God you're sorry!

PRAYER:
Loving God, you see everything we do, everything we think, everything we say.  And you are right - each one of us is a sinner.    We sin because we want to, not because anybody makes us.  We want to stop making excuses and tell you we need you to forgive us.   Wash us clean, change us so we only want to obey you.  Thank you for Jesus Christ, who died to take away all our sins.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment